Sunday, August 5, 2012

Making up for lost time


My poor, neglected blog. It’s been four years since I’ve paid you a visit. You must feel so abandoned and unloved. Maybe you’ve wondered where I’ve been, what’s become of me, and whether I’d ever share any of life’s events with you again. The truth is, until today, I didn’t know the answers your questions either.

Since I last wrote, my marriage grew 4 years; it’s now 9 years old— Happy Birthday, Life-Long Commitment! Craig started a new job in 2008 after he finished his MBA program at Baylor. I then started a PhD program… we’re gluttons for punishment like that. Speaking of school, we worked unbelievably hard to pay off our student loans. Between those, and tuition paid outright, we’ve paid off more than the purchase price of our first home-- crazy. In May of 2011, Craig was offered a position with a merges and acquisition company in San Diego. He couldn’t pass it up, and I was finished with coursework; so we linked hands, counted to three, and jumped headlong into the scary. Six months later we moved again, but this time just 40 miles up the road. We bought another home… only this time for 2.5x the cost of our Waco home – insane. After 4 long, difficult years of trying to start a family, an absurd amount in medical expenses, and an amazing amount of faith, we finally conceived and gave birth to a beautiful boy— glorious!  We welcomed Christopher William into our family December 29, 2011.

San Diego has been an adjustment. It’s a long way from Waco, literally and metaphorically speaking. But Craig really enjoys his job, and he feels he’s getting a good deal of experience, so this makes the process of assimilation a little easier. The 7 months I’ve been at home with Christopher have been the most purposeful, refining, life changing months of my life, and I wouldn’t trade it for any other treasure. The Lord has cultivated a nobler, worthier heart in me, one better equipped to mother my son in the image of Jesus.

And, dear Blog, this brings us up to speed. So, welcome home, pull up a chair, and dig in!