Sunday, March 10, 2013

When the Lord asks us to be vulnerable for the sake of others...




I have never been one to shy away from bold posts. When Osama Bin Laden was captured and killed, for instance, I was one of the first of my friends to post how much better off the world is without him and how much Heaven celebrated to finally discard of him. My assertion was met with some praise and quite a bit of opposition (to my astonishment, actually). When Roe v Wade recently celebrated a forty-year anniversary, I shamelessly reposted every anti-abortion, pro-life John Piper-ish article I came across. And when Canada threatens its pastors with legal action if they speak against same sex relationships, I’ve got a few thoughts on the trajectory America’s speech and religious freedoms.

I don’t mind being bold, especially when my confidence is rooted in biblical truths. But being bold and being vulnerable are entirely different entities.

Being bold feels a lot like climbing a mountain, reaching the top, and declaring, “Ah-ha! I see it all very clearly from here.” Being vulnerable feels more like picking an old scab until it bleeds ever so steadily and then asking others, “Here. Would you like to take a look?” Being bold is a statement. Being vulnerable is a question.

I have a hard time being vulnerable.

So, when someone asks me to share my road to conception, that feels… vulnerable. To share openly and publicly that my husband and I first began “trying” for children in 2007 and continued trying and trying and trying for years leaves me feeling somewhat exposed.

How, then, could I possibly share about all the tests, and surgeries, and unanswered questions? How do I share about the needles, and pills, and special diets? And what about the tens of thousands of dollars spent trying to create life— pleading for the Lord to partner with us on the journey— and then the miscarriage that resulted?

After my miscarriage in the fall of 2010, I was broken, to say the least. Statistically speaking, losing a baby sometime within the first 8 weeks is not uncommon. But knowing this does not make the loss any less painful. Rarely do women talk about their loss. Perhaps because it feels too much like scratching a scab for the world to see. And certainly, no one ever shares what you’re suppose to do with your loss after he or she is gone. And I mean that in the most literal sense. What was I suppose to do at 2am? What was I suppose to do for the next 2 days, months, years?

To say that my son’s conception, healthy pregnancy, and birth are all miracles is no exaggeration. My son was conceived through years, tears, prayers, and a lot of money and medicine. That we live in a day and age when this sort of treatment is even an option is in and of itself a miracle.

What is also a miracle about our journey is the way the Lord used community to carry us. At the time, we lived in Waco, TX, which is a small and unique community. It’s the sort of place where all of your spheres of life—work, church, the gym, even—are all interwoven. Over the years, friends began to inquire. Their inquiries became prayers. And their prayers became pleas to the Lord on our behalf. Before long, we had a network of people in all spheres of life carrying us when we didn’t have the strength to walk. Many of our friends’ lives overlapped, too, which made us feel especially covered but also very… vulnerable.


To this day, the kindest act any friend has ever done for me was to write and record a song in which she sang of my grief. In her song, she implored “why?” with a heartbreak as deep as my own. “Why does it have to be so hard? Lord, we don’t understand.” She delivered her sweet words to my house with flowers, and the song was balm to my wound. (Thank you, Sherri.) This, for me, was the culminating moment of just how carried and loved my husband and I were by community. (Thank you, Jesus.)


But when doctors told us we had less than a 1% chance of ever conceiving naturally, I believed them. And there was no room in my heart to believe otherwise. To pray for a natural conception felt much like praying to win a large sum of money in a Vegas slot machine. Truth be told, all of that medical treatment left me feeling a little like my uterus had become a Vegas slot machine.

Thankfully, I am married to a man who believes statistics are merely an opportunity for the Lord to laugh in Medicine’s face. My husband faithfully prayed for six years that one day the Lord would grant us a baby— naturally.

And the Lord did just that.

This baby is a miracle, too!

But I think the biggest miracle of it all is what the Lord has done in my heart these last six years.

I have learned to count it all as loss for the glory of God (Philippians 3:8). I have experienced what it means to pour myself out as a drink offering, even when I had little to offer (2 Timothy 4:6–8). I have watched the Lord restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish me in the process (1 Peter 5:10).

My road to conception was battered and broken and… beautiful. But most importantly, it was transformative because, when it hurt the most, I pressed in to the Lord rather than pushed away.

And whenever anyone asks my advice on this topic or pain in general, that is exactly what I lead the conversation with: lean into the Lord. Inevitably, life will fail you; it will hurt you. The Lord is the only one who can heal you. He does it in His timing, in His own way.

And submitted, transformed hearts find His process more beautiful than their own.

11.2 weeks pregnant (3-10-13)
 A special TOMS order for our family of 4!


Please pray for a healthy, full term pregnancy.